Lucidi di Basi di Dati 2
Advanced Database Systems
Office hours in July
I will be out of Pisa in the period between the 2nd and the 13th of July.
On the 4th and 11th of July I will meet students on skype, in the usual
time slot 10-13. All the other days I invite you to pose me your questions
via e-mail or to contact me for a skype meeting.
Orals in July
Oral exams will take place the 19th - please let me know if you have another exam in that day.
Thursday 24th of May we will discuss the exercise (1) and (3)
of section 14 of Questions and exercises.
Thursday 10th of May we will discuss the exercise at page
of Physical design.
Please try and do it before the lesson.
Thursday 22nd of March we will discuss exercise 1
of this text .
Tuesday 21th of March we will discuss the first part (exercises 1-2-3)
this exam test.
- Relational DBMS Internals, by A. Albano et al, freely available for personal use only.
Here you can find the solutions of
some of the exercises in the book.
- Decision Support Databases
Essentials, by A. Albano, freely available for personal use only.
This book covers the section ''Decision support systems''. It is even too
rich for that, you should only study the parts that are discussed in the
- The Design and Implementation of Modern Column-Oriented Database Systems, D. Abadi, P. Boncz, S. Harizopoulos, S. Idreos and S. Madden, Foundations and Trends in Databases, Vol. 5, No. 3 (2012) 197íV280. This paper covers the section ''Column databases''.
- Database Systems: The Complete Book (2nd edition), by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeff Ullman, and Jennifer Widom, 2008, chapter 20. This chapter covers the section "Parallel and Distributed Databases". I cannot share a pdf version for copyright reasons. The second part of this excellent book is also a very good reference material for most of the course.
- Questions and exercises about the last part of the course, Version 0.3.
Additional slides for students that decide to follow the program
of Academic Year 2016-17
- First intermediate test
- Second intermediate test, program of AY 2016-17
- Second intermediate test, program of AY 2017-18
- Full course test (9 credits),where the second part follows the
program of AY 2016-17